Wednesday 25 September 2013

One year older

One Year Older - Photomontage. 


Every once in a while I feel compelled to create something approximating "proper" Art. I love performative art whether that's the post performative painting of Jackson Pollock and David Hockney or the endurance work of Marina Abramovic. For most people performance art occupies the very fringes of their endurance of contemporary fine art. I know many people, artists included, who would rather slam their heads repeatedly against a brick wall then endure 40 minutes of a woman standing in a darkened room knitting a dress to the sounds of repetitive electro on heavy rotation, but I genuinely feel like I'm part of an intellectual conversation worth having. Sure it's wanky as hell, but art should attempt to engage with people on a slightly heightened level or something approaching sophistication.
"One year older" is a follow up to a piece I did last year. Although I wouldn't classify this as a performative piece it is suggestive of an act being recorded. I wanted to talk about sexuality without framing it in an overly masculine lens. I also wanted to reverse the traditional gender roles within art. I think these photomontages are an interesting way to talk about these subjects and as an artist it allows me to venture out of my usual role of detached observer and to take a more active role in the conversation. If I'm honest I know that work like this is slightly outside the field of my abilities. My understanding of performative art is incredibly limited and I struggle to pin down my thoughts, but working like this has directly fed into all other areas of my practice, allowing me to be adventurous creatively and more determined to strive for something like artistic integrity within my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment